Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDD Secure Wipe

Hi team - after purchasing my first NAS through yourselves a few years ago, ive now run out of space! Ive upgraded the drives from 4x8Tb to 4x14Tb, and now need to sell on my original drives.

What software do you recommend to SECURELY wipe the drives before I sell?

Also, Im a Mac user - no PC software here! Smile

Thanks,
Duncan
Hi! Congrats on upgrading your NAS drives! To securely wipe your old drives before selling them, you can use a software called Disk Utility, which is included in the macOS. Here's how to do it:

Connect the drive to your Mac.

Open Disk Utility (you can find it in Applications > Utilities).

Select the drive you want to erase from the left-hand sidebar.

Click on the "Erase" button at the top of the Disk Utility window.

Choose a format for the drive (Mac OS Extended, exFAT, etc.) and give it a name.

Click on the "Security Options" button and choose a secure erase option. The "Zero Out Data" option is usually sufficient for most cases, but if you want to be extra secure, you can choose the "7-Pass Erase" or "35-Pass Erase" options.

Click on "OK" and then "Erase" to begin the process.

Disk Utility will then securely erase your drive, which can take some time depending on the size of the drive and the security option you chose. Once the process is complete, your drive will be wiped clean and ready to be sold.

It is very difficult to delete data from HDD. I would run full format couple of times.