Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Informal Recommendations for Plex NAS Media Server Hardware

Have brand new 1 GB Verizon fiber internet connecting to new UniFi (Ubiquiti) home system infrastructure (UDM-SE & UniFi APs). Have robust wired and WiFi network, TVs wired to UDM-SE and also wireless. In process cutting cord on cable TV services.

I have an OTA digital antenna, new HDHomeRun Quad Tuner connected to my LAN & WiFi. I just added Plex and Plex Pass for lifetime.

I would like suggestions on best NAS hardware as easy & robust media server. Want to run the Plex media server apps and save to HD whenever possible. Maybe use to save files. Unclear if NAS drives added. Would like to use new WD Red Plus 4TB NAS drive as first drive. Possibly get second NAS drive to run as RAID set-up if makes sense. otherwise will return drive etc..
My TVs are wired and wifi connected and my HDHomeRun can broadcast to all TVs over wireless or LAN.
I had hoped someone would also be familar with the UniFi ecosystem as ideally would like to see a NAS Media Server run smoothly Thx
Based on your use case, the DS423+ with its GPU chip should be a good fit for your needs. It's a powerful NAS device that can handle media serving, Plex, and file storage with ease. You can use it to save files, and with the WD Red Plus 4TB NAS drive, you can start off with a decent amount of storage.

If you plan to add another drive in the future, setting up a RAID configuration might be a good idea for data redundancy and protection. The DS423+ supports various RAID configurations such as RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, and Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR). You can use the Synology Hybrid RAID, which will automatically optimize storage capacity and data protection based on the number and size of drives installed.

In terms of network connectivity, the DS423+ has dual 1GbE LAN ports, which should be sufficient for your home network. The UniFi ecosystem should not interfere with the NAS's performance as long as you have proper network segmentation and QoS settings configured.

Overall, the DS423+ is a reliable and user-friendly NAS device that can provide you with an easy and robust media server for your home network.