Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thinking of buying a smaller Synology system

We currently use a lot of storage from my home office network & have 4 drobo systems but lately I've been having more connectivity with these devices so thinking of trying something different and have been investigating Synology systems for my next purchase. I was thinking of continuing to use the drobo for backup but using the as a working drive. We use lots of large video & compositing files so hoping that we could have fast readible speeds over our ethernet network. Was looking at the Synology DS220+ 2-Bay NAS Enclosure as we (my wife and I also work in the same business) and we often move from London to Northern Ireland with drives in tow so a smaller system might make sense. On another note I purchased 4x4TB drives from the drobo a few years back and made the mistake of buying Exos Enterprise drives which we not compatible with the Drobo systems. An expensive error at the time but would the Exos drives work on the synology devices. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
The Synology DS220+ would be a good choice for your needs. It supports two hard drives, and you can configure them in RAID 0 or 1, depending on whether you prioritize performance or data redundancy. The device supports up to 2x 16TB hard drives, giving you a maximum storage capacity of 32TB. Additionally, the DS220+ has a 2-core processor and 2GB of RAM, making it a powerful device for your video and compositing files.

As for your Exos Enterprise drives, they should work on the Synology DS220+. However, it's worth noting that using enterprise drives in a NAS device may not be necessary for your needs. Enterprise drives are designed for 24/7 use in data center environments and tend to be more expensive than consumer drives. For your home office use, it may be more cost-effective to use consumer-grade drives, such as the WD Red or Seagate IronWolf drives, which are designed for NAS use and provide good performance and reliability.

Lastly, it's always a good idea to have a backup strategy in place for your important files. You mentioned using the Drobo for backup, which is a good practice. You could also consider using a cloud backup service, such as Backblaze or Carbonite, to ensure that your files are backed up offsite in case of a disaster.