Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Drive

I need to upgrade my drive capacity in my Synology 920+. I want to replace my 8tb drives with 20tb drives or similar. Currently the new Toshiba MG10ACA20TE is reasonably priced locally. I cannot find much info on this drive, other than I know it is MAMR and 512E, I believe. Do you have any thoughts on this drive for use in a 920+? Also, I realise that Synology have yet to add this drive--as with many others--to their compatibility list, but could you tell me if it would function in the 920+ - if not I need to look for other alternatives.
(03-21-2023, 04:30 PM)Enquiries Wrote: I need to upgrade my drive capacity in my Synology 920+. I want to replace my 8tb drives with 20tb drives or similar. Currently the new Toshiba MG10ACA20TE is reasonably priced locally. I cannot find much info on this drive, other than I know it is MAMR and 512E, I believe. Do you have any thoughts on this drive for use in a 920+? Also, I realise that Synology have yet to add this drive--as with many others--to their compatibility list, but could you tell me if it would function in the 920+ - if not I need to look for other alternatives.

This is going to sound like sour grapes but today I returned two 8TB N300 Toshiba hard drives because of Disk_Slip errors in the SMART data on my DS920+.  Had about 150M errors on each drive and the drives were only 18mo old (3 yr warranty).  Contacted Toshiba tech support and they could not tell me if these errors constituted an impending failure or not. I sent them screengrabs of the SMART tables and they offered a full refund of the purchase price (no replacements available) and didn't even ask me to run any other tests.  Comments in other forums showed that this error has been known for awhile and others also got refunds and no questions asked.  My gripe is that Toshiba knew this was a problem but never sent any registered users any notices - putting my data and my clients at risk.  

When I removed the drives and tested them they failed with numerous bad blocks.  My experience with Toshiba drives that are supposedly Enterprise grade, 24/7 rated for NAS use is not one I want to go through again.  Bad batch or whatever - they knew it was a problem.  I'm in the process of restoring the NAS after installing two WD Red 12TB drives that have the 5yr warranty.  The 12TB Red's are on the Synology compatibility list.