Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting a first NAS

Hello!
I am looking for a storage solution with redundancy in case of a failed drive and an automatic backup to a cloud like Google Drive.
It is mostly for pictures and research study data storage, so very important data.
I have done my research and I was going to get the Synology DS420j, but then I realized it is a bit old now.
The only think I miss about it is 2.5/10 GBe.
Do you think a new NAS in the j (budget) series will come out soon?
I can wait a little while longer. Should I?
Thank you very much! Your videos in YouTube are a great help.
The new ds423 will soon come out and will have newer Realtek cpu and ddr4 memory. no 10gbe, but you would not expect that with value series.
(03-24-2023, 02:34 PM)ed Wrote: The new ds423 will soon come out and will have newer Realtek cpu and ddr4 memory. no 10gbe, but you would not expect that with value series.

Hello and thank you very much for the kind reply.

I have a couple of follow up questions. I hope it's ok:
1. Synology has an app for Samsung TVs called DS video? Does that essentially make the TV a client capable of running the different video compression formats smoothly? Including 4K videos? (The TV is perfectly capable of running them from a USB storage device connected directly to it).

2. What will be the expected differences between the ds423 and ds423+ ?
I was actually starting to consider the ds923+ (maybe waiting for a sale) since it has so many options for future upgradability, which for me mostly means future proofing.

Thank you so much for your help again.