Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New nas

Hi I’m currently using an old Wd Mycloud 2 tb that is unsupported with plex server on my Mac mini m2 pro.
I’m now looking to buy a new nas and have 2 or 3 3 tb Wd red hard drives spare.
I’m unsure which brand to go with Qnap 464 or the synology 923 or maybe something similar I download videos to a hard drive then transfer currently to the Wd Mycloud watching on a Sony android tv via the plex pass which I have paid for the premium service.
Any help would be very appreciated so I don’t throw my pounds at the wrong thing.

Thanks Adam.
Both the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+ come with a Celeron CPU and a GPU chip, which makes them suitable for remote streaming. However, the Synology DS923+ is better suited for local streaming, which may not be necessary in your situation.

Since you already have spare WD Red hard drives, it makes sense to choose a NAS that is compatible with these drives. Both the QNAP and Synology NAS devices are compatible with WD Red drives, so that's not a concern.

When choosing between the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+, it really comes down to personal preference and specific needs. Both are reliable brands and offer similar features, such as support for RAID configurations, remote access, and media streaming.

To make an informed decision, consider the following factors:

Budget
Required storage capacity
Additional features required, such as transcoding capabilities or support for specific apps
Ease of use and user interface
Overall, both the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+ are great options, so it's worth researching both devices and comparing them based on your specific needs before making a decision.
(03-17-2023, 03:42 PM)ed Wrote: Both the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+ come with a Celeron CPU and a GPU chip, which makes them suitable for remote streaming. However, the Synology DS923+ is better suited for local streaming, which may not be necessary in your situation.

Since you already have spare WD Red hard drives, it makes sense to choose a NAS that is compatible with these drives. Both the QNAP and Synology NAS devices are compatible with WD Red drives, so that's not a concern.

When choosing between the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+, it really comes down to personal preference and specific needs. Both are reliable brands and offer similar features, such as support for RAID configurations, remote access, and media streaming.

To make an informed decision, consider the following factors:

Budget
Required storage capacity
Additional features required, such as transcoding capabilities or support for specific apps
Ease of use and user interface
Overall, both the QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS423+ are great options, so it's worth researching both devices and comparing them based on your specific needs before making a decision.

Thanks for the reply the only reason we wanted a new nas is purely for plex transcoding on the nas if possible or I keep it on my Mac mini pro 2022 version which has a very good processor.

Thanks Adam.

Just to add my nas would be serve local in our house not out and about or on phones if that’s going to make a difference on Choice?. It’s purely for media to TVs in the house.
I guess I need to know am I better off leaving my plex server on my Mac mini pro buying a cheaper NAS enclosure or spending more and putting the plex server on the synology ds 423+ ?.
I’m now leaning towards leaving the server on my Mac mini pro as its processor is far superior to the Celeron. Which would be the best nas for the storage Qnap or synology.
I have decided to buy a nas either the ds423+ or the 923+
As I only watch plex via the Sony plex app and not on any other devices do I need the 423 for transcoding or not I think my tv plays film’s series etc direct? Which would mean I’d go for the ds923+ as it’s got more future proof options.