Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller Smile

Just hoping to get some advice on the following before I buy my first proper NAS.  I’ve listened and watched a fair amount of content on here, but still not 100% on a couple of bits:

I’m leaning towards getting DS1522+, hopefully for file storage, access from anywhere (likely VPN, but not ruling out direct), would be interested in hosting some VMs, and perhaps playing with surveillance at some point.  I’m probably looking at current requirement of 8tb data to be stored.

1) Are m.2 nvme or SSDs required for hosting decent VMs at a reasonable speed?  If so, what would folks usually recommend here?  Appreciate DS1522+ doesn’t support m2 nvme storage, but is it still possible and worth trying the unofficial route via CLI?  If there’s enough risk with the unofficial storage route, would this make a case for going DS923+ and just one less bay?

2) Same question for RAM and VMs.  Would 1x 16GB extra (24 total) be enough, or recommended to just ditch the RAM that comes with the unit and get 2x16GB?

3) HDDs - Leaning towards getting 3x 8tb.  I’m seeing Ironwolf 8tb and Ironwolf Pro 8tb at roughly the same price?  The non-pros look to be the only ones officially supported by Synology, plus the Pro looks to consume more power and slightly noisier.  Are these good reasons enough to stick with the non-pro, or for the price would it be a no-brainier to get the pros?

4) Any advice on the number of bays/drives to begin with?  4x 6tb HDD and have the cheaper/quieter drives, or go 8tb HDD and have 2 spare for expansion/potential surveillance drive?

Thanks!
Hello! I'll do my best to answer your questions:

M.2 NVMe or SSDs can definitely help with hosting VMs at a reasonable speed, but they are not strictly required. The DS1522+ supports SSD caching, which can also improve performance. If you do want to try the unofficial route via CLI to add M.2 NVMe storage, I would recommend doing thorough research and proceeding with caution. If you're concerned about the risks, the DS923+ is a solid alternative with similar capabilities and one less bay. When DSM 7.2 is out properly you will get NVME storage pool support n 1522+ .

More RAM is always better when it comes to hosting VMs. 24GB total should be sufficient for your needs, but upgrading to 32GB with 2x16GB would be even better. Usually this is where people choose to give up Synology support (still keep the warranty) or not.

The non-pro Ironwolf 8TB drives are officially supported by Synology, and they are still high-quality drives. The Ironwolf Pro drives are designed for heavier workloads and have a longer warranty, but if noise and power consumption are concerns for you, it may be better to stick with the non-pros. Ultimately, both options are good choices, and the decision will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you run VMs on NVMe, HDDs are not that important.

It's always a good idea to plan for expansion, so if you have the budget, going with 4x 8TB drives and having 2 spare for expansion and potential surveillance would be a great option. However, if budget is a concern, starting with 4x 6TB drives can be a good way to save some money initially and still have plenty of storage capacity.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the great response. NC has been a great source of info. I practically knew nothing in depth about NAS until recently, and it’s been fun getting up to speed.

Update - I’ve now bought the DS1522+, but currently unboxed whilst I try and source some drives!

I did indeed spot in the release notes for 7.2 the support for DS1522+ M.2 NVMe storage pools, so thanks for that. One less thing to ponder over. So now just a couple of snags bugging me (that hopefully you might have some insight on!?):

1) Noticed that the only officially supported 8tb IronWolf was ST8000VN004 - 3CP101. When looking for this model, I stumble across a few ST8000VNZ04/N004. Do we know if VNZ04 is the same as N004 perhaps? Likewise for ST8000VN0022? Even if we are confident that these are the same as the N004, will the NAS recognise them as supported? Regarding the 3CP101 bit, I’ve seen there is a ST8000VN004 - 2M2101 also (perhaps more). Again would this perhaps be officially supported? Is it a newer or older version perhaps? I read somewhere the 3CP101 runs hotter and slower than other versions?

2) Should I even be worrying about officially supported drives anyway? There seem to be so few listed and read folks have all sorts installed with no problems. Am I on the right lines with the IronWolf anyway, or can someone recommend an 8tb drive model that might suit my needs? I’m hoping to also try some VMs out before 7.2 and m.2 NVMe storage becomes available, so if there’s any suggestions on there also, would be appreciated.

3) Memory - Looking like getting some extra is definitely the way to go. I found a few threads which show most people are happy going with non official RAM and a few models that might work. One being ksm26sed8/16hd. Am I right in thinking memory is memory, and doesn’t matter too much which brand you get? Or is there a 1x or 2x 16GB RAM model that you could recommend or heard good things about?

4) Number of drives - My initial thought was to maybe just get 2 x 8tb, put them into a SHR, see how I go, and if I need more just add an extra 8tb drive in a few months. I figured I would still have 1 drive redundancy with either 2x or 3x drives, and perhaps spacing out the purchase also might help avoid a bad batch or drives potentially failing at the same time. Good idea? Or think I should just buy upfront?

5) If I go 2 x 8tb in SHR) - (similar to Raid1?) and then add another drive later (similar to Raid5?), does this cause issues or bigger delays adding the drive to the pool because it maybe has to convert everything to the SHR-Raid5 equivalent first before being able to add the new drive? Or is adding a 3rd drive easy enough in SHR, so not much to worry about?

6) Any absolute must-do things I have to set-up when configuring for the first time? I read BTRFS is probably a good idea? Should I be encrypting my storage pool from the off? Any major pros/cons with encrypted drives? Any weird indexing things I should be doing?

Sorry for the long follow up! Just really excited to get started, and massively appreciated your first reply, so hopefully I might hear from you again soon! Thanks Smile
Here's the proofread version:
Hi again,
Congratulations on your new DS1522+! It's a great choice for a powerful and expandable NAS.
Now, to answer your questions:
1. Variations like N004 can be an issue. Synology has made a silly mistake. Their compatibility database has to match the drive serial exactly, or you might get a warning. But it will still work.
2. If you don't use their recommended components, they can refuse support, but they still need to offer a full warranty.
3. RAM is RAM, but Synology might show warnings while trying to sell their overpriced memory. Here is a handy list: https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...tible-ram/
4. Yes, I would also go for a half-populated NAS option. It consumes less energy, wears out less, and has fewer bad batch issues.
5. Adding an additional drive to SHR is a simple process, but it might take a day to complete. You can still use the NAS during this process, but you might experience slowdowns.
6. BTRFS + SHR is probably the only thing you need to set up at the start to take advantage of the full range of functionality. Encrypted drives are a new thing and not very polished. I would use encrypted folders instead.
I hope this helps!