Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What model to buy

I have an old Netgear readynas rn31400. Backs up local files. Mainly movies, and personal files. I was able to setup a share so friends and family could access my "videos" folder. But it seems slow for them to access and download. I've never transcoded to a device. I usually just copy the file to my local pc or ipad to play from device directly.

I have (4) 2tb HDDs, but have considered upgrading to SSD drives. For faster copy, and quietness.

I do keep the nas in my bedroom, so I would like it to be quite. The rn314 is pretty quite when not be accessed.

I have watched many of your videos. I think I'm more of a hardware guy. So I like the ts-473a, but it seems a bit old now, and still expensive?

Having a m.2 cache option would be nice.

I don't want any subscription features.

I just want to backup files from my 3 PCs in my house, manually would be ok. Maybe automatically would be cool. I want to be able to share videos with friends/family. I'm down to be in 1 of your video
Based on your requirements, the QNAP TVS-473A model would be a good choice for you. However, as you mentioned, it is metal-based and could generate more noise. To address this, you can use NVMe for QTS OS and apps and HDD for actual files.

If you're looking for a more quiet option, the QNAP TS-464 might be a better choice as it is plastic-based and therefore more quiet.

Regarding your slow access and download issues with your current NAS, it could be due to various reasons such as network bandwidth or the type of HDDs you are using. Upgrading to SSDs could improve the copy speed, but it may not necessarily improve the download speed for your friends and family. Transcoding the video files to a more friendly format for your devices could also help with the download speed.

The QNAP TVS-473A is not the newest model in the QNAP lineup, but it is still a capable NAS and can meet your requirements. The M.2 cache option is available for this model, which could improve the overall performance.

The QNAP NAS has various backup options, including manual and automatic backups, and you can also set up shared folders to share videos with your friends and family. Additionally, QNAP NAS does not require any subscription fees for what you need.