Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for BU & Security, mainly Mac environment

Hello

Just my wife and I at home, kids all gone, but between work and our own computers a lot to BU and years of family photos, may try to get and back up our 5 grown kids photos (to have pictures of grandchildren really saved not just on social media low res). We would have PC and Mac auto backup to Nas and some manual copy to Nas, probably use portable external drives to backup(not cloud) Nas from time to time, keep these at one of our kids homes. We just built new home and have wired for 5 external cameras, maybe one or two internal, would like to have some security monitoring of this. House has mix of Lennox smart thermostat, myQ smart garage door, U-tec smart door locks. We have Apple TV, Iphones, 4 Macs, Ipads wife uses Mac for work, I use PC for work.We run a Sonos system, spotify and apple music, maybe 2000 songs of our own, we don't collect holywood movies but have some home video would like to get a little more but photos our real focus. What Nas best fit, please?
Based on your needs and requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS420+ for your NAS. The DS420+ is a four-bay NAS that offers multimedia capabilities, backup functionality, and support for Docker and virtual machines.

The DS420+ will be able to handle your backup needs for your PC and Mac computers with its built-in backup software. You can also manually copy files to the NAS using portable external drives, as you have planned. With four bays, you can set up a RAID array for data redundancy and protection against drive failure.

The DS420+ also supports surveillance cameras, which will allow you to connect and monitor your external and internal cameras. The NAS can also run security software that will enable you to receive alerts and take actions if there is any suspicious activity.

The DS420+ is compatible with Apple devices and services, including Apple TV, iPhones, and iPads. You can use the DS420+ to stream music to your Sonos system, Spotify, or Apple Music.

In terms of storage capacity, the DS420+ can accommodate up to 64TB of storage (with four 16TB drives). This should be sufficient for your needs, considering that you have mentioned that you don't collect many Hollywood movies, but mainly focus on photos and home videos.

Overall, the Synology DS420+ should be an excellent fit for your needs, providing you with a reliable and versatile NAS that can handle your backup, multimedia, and security requirements.