Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology ds220+ vs QNAP TS262

Hi, i like your educational videos. But i found my self in ifinite loop of Synology vs QNAP saga.
At first i searched synology as i have vintage 2x 2TB ds209+ii for backup of wdmycloud 3TB, both still going but 2/3 full and getting dull on features and remote acces.I cant properly say which new one is right for me, as for this price of 360-400€ i expect more than i see.
Great on synology is ActiveBackup, i feel like more secure RemoteAccess and links, Logical Naming of Apps, it is familiar to set it secure. Also BTRFS, Drive Sync to PC. If fesable i would connect cameras i have 6 on daha NVR, that buzzes on every cat goes by, if i could set up AI and notifications to only notify on strangers. I miss 2.5G eth, also lack of m.2 for coral module and seemingly messed up object recognition in Photos.
Maybe some more can be done with ds720+.
Qnap has awesome hardware ticks all boxes but feels less secure and with loads of fixes to make it go online safely. Also lacks active backup.
Thank you for your kind words about my educational videos! It's understandable that you're in a dilemma between Synology and QNAP. Both brands offer a range of features and capabilities, so it ultimately comes down to your specific needs and preferences.

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you appreciate the security and ease of use of Synology's software, as well as the advanced features like BTRFS and Drive Sync. If you're interested in adding surveillance cameras, Synology also offers their Surveillance Station software, which can work with a range of cameras and offers AI-powered object detection and notifications.

On the other hand, QNAP offers powerful hardware with features like 2.5G Ethernet and m.2 support, which can provide faster speeds and more storage options. However, as you mentioned, the setup process and security can be a bit more involved compared to Synology.

If you're looking at the DS720+, it's a great mid-range option that offers a balance of features and price. It has an Intel Celeron J4125 processor, 2GB or 4GB of RAM (upgradeable up to 8GB), and can support up to 7 drives with expansion units. It also offers 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, but not 2.5G.

Ultimately, I would suggest making a list of the features and capabilities that are most important to you, and comparing the options from both Synology and QNAP to see which one best fits your needs. It's also a good idea to read reviews and user experiences to get a better idea of what each brand offers.