Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for SoHo

Hi Guys,
Need your help.
In our family home I have built a pretty sophisticated homenetwork (atm 1GBit/s only) with Proxmox running 10-15 VMs and 2 Docker hosts with 20 Containers and still growing.
I also host my own AD with File-/Printserver, and a DMZ for external-facing APPs is in the works (NextCloud, Bitwarden planned).
19" Rack is in the basement, currently without cooling. In the future a deeper server rack with cooling is planned.
I have an old Qnap TS 419P (4x2TB) sitting on top of that rack, that I currently only boot up for running backups once a week.
Apart from being iSCSI-Target for Proxmox backups, it has our family photos, videos and filedump.
Currently backed up to a WD MyBook that is unfortunately not offsite but residing upstairs ;-).

I'm looking for a NAS that is somewhat future proof (option 10Gbit-SFPs would be nice) and at least Docker capabilities to shift some load off the proxmox.
Also being able to serve as storage to run remote(Prox-)VMs on it.
Thanks!
DS923+ is very promising. It has 10gbe and nvme support. Also, the CPU could handle few light VMs and a number of docker.
Anything more will require Xeon-based NAS.

I hope this helps