Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice?

Hi ...
Newb1e .. sorry if the questions are stupid? -

A single user of my system

1) I have DS1515+/Apple Studio and thinking about Link Aggregation to improve data transfer, so many switches out there any recommendations? and the BEST MODE to go for??

2) DS1515+ has 4 x LAN ports - At present one is connected to my modem, Can I connect another DIRECTLY to the ethernet port of the apple studio at the same time as aggregation etc etc

3) Is there any/better alternatives out there ...

Thanking all you geniuses out there - remember I am a newbie

For Link Aggregation, you can use any Gigabit Ethernet switch that supports Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP). Some popular switches for home or small office use include the Netgear GS108T and TP-Link TL-SG108E. As for the best mode to go for, it depends on your network setup and what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for increased bandwidth for transferring large files or streaming media, then you may want to use Link Aggregation Mode 4 (802.3ad). However, if you are more concerned with fault tolerance and redundancy, then you may want to use Link Aggregation Mode 1 (Active/Standby) or Mode 2 (Balance-XOR).

Yes, you can connect another LAN port on the DS1515+ directly to the Ethernet port on your Apple Studio, but it would not be necessary if you are already using Link Aggregation to combine the bandwidth of all four LAN ports. Connecting an additional LAN port directly to your computer would only provide a single connection and would not benefit from the increased bandwidth of Link Aggregation.

There are certainly alternatives to the DS1515+ such as other models from Synology or from other NAS manufacturers like QNAP, Asustor, or Western Digital. However, the DS1515+ is a solid choice for a small business or home setup with its four LAN ports and expandable storage options. It also has a large community of users and is well-supported by Synology with regular software updates.