Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS723+ vs DS220+ vs DS223

Hi,

I currently own a DS213 and it's getting long in the tooth. I have been reading your articles and watching your videos to determine which drive is best suited for me. I want a fast drive, but I don't want to break the bank. The primary purpose of this drive is to back up my pictures and home videos from my PC (on the same local network as the NAS) and back up my pictures and videos from my cell phone. The concern I have is accessing the files remotely (especially the videos) and having the system lag or slow down (1080p and 4K). I've read the lack of an iGPU of the new Ryzen R1600 can make some hesitant about getting it (more so for Plex). I can't find any real-world benchmarks to assist me in determining what drive I should get, but I am leaning towards the more expensive 723+.

Additionally, I want to pair it with the WD Red Pro 4TB drives that are not (technically) supported.

Your thoughts are appreciated! Thank you.
You will need Celeron-based box such as not yet released ds423+ or an existing DS420+/ ds220+. Plex is a quite demanding app. You may need to use DS Video app for remote streaming. Or consider Qnap i5 based NAS for 4k transcoding.

In terms of the drives, the WD Red Pro 4TB drives are a good choice, as they are designed specifically for use in NAS devices and provide excellent reliability and performance. While they may not be officially supported by Synology, many users have reported successful use with these drives.

It's worth noting that while the lack of an iGPU on the new Ryzen R1600 may be a concern for some users, it's not likely to be a significant issue for your intended use case. The main benefit of an iGPU is for transcoding video for streaming, which it sounds like you won't be doing much of.