Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS723+ vs. DS923+

Dear NAS Compares,

I'm unsure if I should by the DS723+ or the DS923+. My most important use cases:
- I sync my files via GoodSync from 3 devices via the NAS
- I have Docker with 6+ container running, most consuming are ioBroker and JellyFin (for private picture and videos, no streaming)

I try to get the best performance, but for the start 2 SSD/HDD drives would be sufficient. I would for sure increase the RAM, both can deal 32GB so this would makes no difference I assume.

When I check the Synology page the tell the max. speed would be for the DS723+ 471/225 MB/s and for the DS923+ 592/562 MB/s. But for me the setup look nearly equal so I do not know if the difference in speed comes only when having 4 SSD/HDD drives in place. But when having 2 there is no speed difference?

My questions:
- Which one would you suggest?
- Is there (in case of 2 SSD/HDD drives and equal RAM) a difference in speed?

Many many thanks in advance!
Markus
ased on your use cases, both the DS723+ and the DS923+ can meet your requirements for syncing files, running Docker containers, and supporting 2 SSD/HDD drives. However, if you are looking to get the best performance and potential future scalability, the DS923+ would be the better choice.

Regarding the maximum speed difference you mentioned, it is true that the DS923+ has higher maximum throughput speed than the DS723+. However, the maximum speed listed is based on both units being populated with the same amount and type of drives. In practice, the difference in speed may not be noticeable in your specific use case scenario since you are only planning to use 2 drives.

In conclusion, if you are looking for better overall performance, higher capacity potential, and potential future scalability, the DS923+ would be a better choice. If you are looking for a more budget-friendly option and don't plan on scaling up your storage capacity, the DS723+ could be a suitable choice for your current needs.