Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Picking a Synology NAS

I've got an ancient R710 (or 720?) Dell server running unraid that I want to replace. It's a huge rack mount server that takes up a ton of space and a ton of power, and pretty noisy too. I'm looking at either a DS1522+ or a DS423+ that was just announced. Really the only reason to even think about the 423+ is for the hardware transcoding. All of my Plex streaming is done locally since I'm on Starlink and upload is not great for streaming that direction. Clients are Apple TV HD, modern iPhones, iPad, and an old cheap Roku. I just ran int a problem with the Apple TV HD and some 4k HIEC encoded media. The Apple TV is not a 4k model and can't handle that format and my old unraid server is a Xeon and has zero ability to hardware transcode. Luckily it has a ton of CPU power and we made it work.

Honestly I'm thinking just got with the DS1522+ to get the extra bay, the additional RAM, the higher upper RAM limit, and all the other modern goodies. But is that a mistake?
It sounds like you are looking to replace your old Dell server with a more compact, power-efficient, and quieter Synology NAS. Based on your requirements, either the DS1522+ or the DS423+ could be a good choice for you.

The DS1522+ offers more bays, more RAM, and a higher RAM limit, which could be useful if you plan to store a lot of data or run multiple applications on the NAS. It DOE NOT have support for hardware transcoding. But for local streaming its OK.

The DS423+ is a newer model with more powerful hardware, including a more modern CPU and support for faster networking. It also has support for hardware transcoding, which could be a deciding factor for you if you need to transcode media files for playback on certain devices. However, it has fewer bays than the DS1522+.

If you need proper transcoding - consider qnap 74 series NAS.
hello, OP here.

I've got a followup question if that's OK. I know the 423+ was just released but I've seen several reddit comments about how although it has qucksync for transcoding (great!) it's also a slightly newer model of the same CPU in the old DS420+. Is there any concern about it growing slow or sluggish over time? Ideally I'd like to get a higher end device and have it last 10 years, that's part of why I am leaning more towards the 1522+. It has more bays and a much higher RAM limit. I don't care about 10 gig ethernet and will likely never use it.