Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS recommendations

Need advice for a NAS that can run PLEX media server and "serve" media which is a mixture of 4K HDR and 1080P movies and TV shows over a home network to an Nvidia Shield TV (hardwired) and 4 No. 4K Firesticks (Wifi). Only the Nvidia Shield would require 4K HDR as the Firesticks are connected to 1080P Televisions.
Currently running WDMyclould Mirror 2 bay with 4TB spanned over 2 x 2TB hard drives as storage only with the Nvidia Shield running the PLEX server side of things. I have also got on order 2 x 4TB WD RED PLUS hard drives which I'm going to use to expand my current NAS's storage as I'm starting to run low on space.
Would like something with 4 No. Bays minimum so I can expand as the media library grows. I would like to re-use the current 2 TB drives if possible as well as the 2 x 4TB on order.
Movie and TV show file formats are a mixture of H.264 and HEVC.

Hope this makes sense!?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, it makes perfect sense! For your requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS920+. It has 4 bays, which will allow you to expand your storage as your media library grows. It also has a powerful Intel Celeron J4125 quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM (expandable up to 8GB) which will provide the necessary power to transcode your 4K HDR media for the Nvidia Shield TV and also stream your 1080p content to your Firesticks without any issues.

Additionally, the DS920+ is compatible with both H.264 and HEVC video codecs, and it supports the Plex Media Server app, so you can easily install and configure it to serve your media library to your devices over your home network.

The DS920+ also has the ability to run other applications and services such as file sharing, backup, and surveillance station, which makes it a versatile and powerful NAS for home users. As for reusing your current 2TB drives, you can install them in the DS920+ and set them up in RAID configuration for additional data protection and storage efficiency.
If you think you may need to stream 4k videos outside the home, you will need i5 based NAS like ts-674. This NAS also support PCIe GPU card upgrade.

I hope this helps.