Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Media Server/Infuse

Hi, Thank you for providing this service. Looking for quick advice, I have tried Plex and found it frustrating either converting or having to transcode a lot of media, so I'm not sure if you're aware of Infuse, it's an apple only software, and got myself a Apple TV and I'm using a 2TB HD, and using a macbook to host the drive. Incase you're not aware, infuse will play most files, doesn't need to transcode and any upscaling etc takes place on the Apple TV. That being the case I wanted to know your reccomendation for a NAS, I was looking at the Terramaster F2-423 but considering most graphic intensive stuff like transcoding won't be done on the NAS I wans't sure if it was needed so I was looking at the QNAP TS-251D, older but cheaper and I still think it could handle most of my needs. Just looking for opinons or other reccomendations if possible, also curious if you're familiar with Infuse, might be an interesting test for cheap NAS's? Thank you in advance, Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question! I am familiar with Infuse and I agree that it is a great media player for Apple devices. As for your NAS choice, the QNAP TS-251D is a good option for your needs. It has a dual-core Intel Celeron processor and 2GB of RAM, which should be sufficient for streaming media and serving files.

The Terramaster F2-423 is also a good option, especially if you want more storage capacity in the future. It has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM, which should provide better performance compared to the QNAP TS-251D.

Since you are not planning to transcode or perform other resource-intensive tasks on the NAS, you don't necessarily need a high-end model. The QNAP TS-251D and Terramaster F2-423 are both capable of handling your media streaming and file serving needs.

However, if you plan to expand your media library and have multiple users accessing the NAS at the same time, I would suggest going for a higher-end model with more RAM and processing power. A good option would be the Synology DS920+, which has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM (expandable up to 8GB), and support for up to 4 drives.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions!