Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just cancelled a DS923+ order, do I wait?

Hi.

I've just cancelled an order for a DS923+ (600€ on amazon.de) and I am not sure whether it was a smart move.

I'm new to NAS and want one to do the following things:
- Take strain off the PC that's currently a media server and main work computer
- Replace my reliance on GAFA photo/file solutions after a Google "bug" resulted in me receiving lots of other people's videos
- Act as a secure hub for all our work files - as two self-employed work-from-home types
- Backup files across laptops, PC, mobile..
The Synology software seems the best but there seems to be a lot of reaction to their 923+ release. I will use the NAS for media serving - but our PC is powerful and has a good graphics card, such that I could transcode an alternative file on there before adding to was (in fact, tips on how to automated this would be appreciated).
So I am kind of in a horrible position - I feel ready to buy, but paralysed by the lack of clear indication towards what to buy.
Help!

Choosing the right NAS can be a daunting task, but don't worry, I'm here to help. Based on your needs, it sounds like the DS920+ or DS220+ would be good options for you. These models are less expensive than the DS923+ and can still handle your needs.

Both the DS920+ and DS220+ can act as a media server, and they both have Synology's excellent software. They also support file backups across laptops, PCs, and mobile devices. In addition, they both have good hardware specs, including quad-core processors and 2GB of RAM (expandable to 8GB on the DS920+).

If you're concerned about transcoding, you can set up the NAS to use your PC for transcoding before adding files to the NAS. Synology has a good guide on how to do this on their website.

In terms of the DS923+, while it is a powerful NAS, it may be overkill for your needs and budget. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if the extra features and power are worth the price.
Also, if you want to stream / transcode 4k remotely via Plex, you will need i5 based NAS such as ts-674. It also supports PCIe GPU card upgrade.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Let me know if you have any more questions!