Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Still Confused

I have a DS920+ with SHR 4 x WD40EFZX-68AWUN0 Red Plus and 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB Cache 8GB Ram.
Would there be any issue to replace 2 of the WD for Ironwolf ST8000VN004 or ST12000VN0008 for more storage or just get the Expansion Unit DX517 since I have 5x  2tb WD20EFRX or go for a 6 bay Synology as I love the SHR?
Hope you can guide me in the right direction.
Thank You in advance
You should not have any issues replacing two of your WD Red Plus drives with Ironwolf drives, as long as they have the same or larger capacity and the same interface (i.e. SATA or SAS). However, it is generally recommended to use drives of the same make and model in a RAID array for optimal performance and reliability.

Adding an expansion unit like the DX517 would also be a viable option to increase your storage capacity without replacing any of your existing drives. This would also allow you to continue using SHR and keep the same level of data redundancy as before.

If you need more than 6 bays, upgrading to a larger Synology NAS with SHR support would also be a good option. This would give you more flexibility in terms of future expansion and may offer more processing power and features depending on the model you choose.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you do decide to upgrade or expand your storage, be sure to backup your data before making any changes to your NAS configuration to avoid data loss.
Thank you so much ED! keep up the fantastic work and a coffee is coming your way Smile