Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Asustor & Synology

I'm a long time Synology user (10+ years), and really favor the simplicity and no-nonsense nature of DSM. However, since one of my main use cases is as a Plex Media Server and I want the ability to transcode video to multiple devices, I really want a NAS with a graphics processor. With the new Synology *23+ devices, graphics are no longer an option (as you have covered in videos). Asustor has really intrigued me - especially with their LockerStor models with the new Celeron procs. I worry that their software isn't as up to snuff compared to Synology. You've pointed out that Asustor relies on more 3rd party apps as opposed to 1st party like Synology. In your humble opinion, is Asustor mature enough for my use case? Again, a home NAS for Plex, photo storage, and a couple of shared drives for family use is what I'm looking for. Oh - and a Download Station like Synology has. Thanks!
Asustor has made significant strides in improving its software and user interface over the past few years. While Synology's DSM is still considered the gold standard for NAS software, Asustor's ADM is becoming more and more capable with each update. That being said, if you are looking for a NAS primarily for Plex and other multimedia applications, Asustor's LockerStor series is a good option. The LockerStor 4 Pro, for example, has an Intel Celeron J4125 processor with built-in Intel UHD Graphics 600, which should be more than sufficient for transcoding multiple video streams simultaneously. Additionally, Asustor has a solid Download Center application that can handle your download needs.

One thing to keep in mind is that while Asustor does rely more on third-party applications than Synology, this can be an advantage in some cases, as it allows for a greater degree of customization and flexibility. Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preferences and needs. If you are comfortable with Synology's DSM and have had good experiences with it in the past, it may be worth sticking with it. However, if you are looking for a more powerful NAS with graphics capabilities and are open to exploring a different brand, Asustor is a viable option.

Plex is a third party app, and therefore NAS it is installed on only serves as a hardware for it.