Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ethernet/Wifi

Hi, hope you can help?

I recently converted my garage to a home office and ensured that a armoured cable was laid from my router (in the main house) to a ethernet plate in the wall. I then use a ethernet cable to connect to a Thinkpad dock so I can get wired internet to my laptop.

Unfortunately the wifi reception in the office is not great as it is far from the house meaning that I can't use my Sonos device.

Is there a way of utilising the ethernet port on the wall so it can be used for both ethernet (for the laptop) and wifi (for Sonos).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Sam
Yes, there are several ways to utilize the Ethernet port on the wall for both Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Here are a few options:

Wireless Access Point: You can connect a wireless access point (WAP) to the Ethernet port on the wall, which will allow you to extend the Wi-Fi network to your garage/home office. You can either purchase a standalone WAP or use a router that has a WAP mode.

Wi-Fi Range Extender: You can also use a Wi-Fi range extender to extend the Wi-Fi signal from your main house to your garage/home office. A range extender will connect to the Wi-Fi network and then rebroadcast the signal, extending the range of your Wi-Fi network.

Powerline Adapters: Another option is to use powerline adapters, which allow you to extend your network over your existing electrical wiring. You can connect one powerline adapter to the Ethernet port in your garage/home office and another to a power outlet near your router in the main house. This will create a wired connection between the two adapters and extend your network to the garage/home office.

I hope this helps!