Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for NAS for our studio

We're at capacity on our server storage currently so I'm doing some preliminary research in to NAS systems.
We have 30 people in the business, around 15 of which are designers that have files that are a few GB each on the server (a couple of them work with video files which are bigger but we're not a 'video editing' agency so don't have reams of video).
We are moving in to a new office with Cat6A cabling so should be able to support 10G networking for the designers.
Ideally I'd want rackmount for tidiness in our server rack, but could accomodate non-rack mount as well if needed.
We would want to use the cloud sync utility (I've read QNAP and Synology have one) to syncronise a proportion of the folders to Google Workspace. From what I've read the Synology app is better supported but it all seems fairly annecdotal.
Ideally some or all the storage is rapid, for the current design files (typically 3DSMax, Cinema4D, Photoshop or Vectorworks) to have high performance.
Based on your requirements, the Synology DS923+ would be a great choice for your business. It has a powerful Ryzen CPU and ECC RAM, and also comes with a 10GbE upgrade slot, which will allow you to take full advantage of your Cat6A cabling for high-speed network transfers. Additionally, it offers a range of features and apps, including free apps to backup Microsoft Suite and much more.

If you need more storage, you can also consider the Synology DS1821+ which is a desktop NAS with 8 bays and the ability to expand up to 18 bays.

As for the cloud sync utility, Synology's app is well-supported and offers a range of features and options. It's worth checking out to see if it meets your needs.

In terms of performance, the DS923+ should be more than capable of handling your designers' large files, including 3DSMax, Cinema4D, Photoshop, and Vectorworks. With its powerful CPU and ECC RAM, it should provide rapid access to files, even with multiple users accessing the NAS at the same time.