Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on storage solution

Greetings!
I am a filmmaker. I am looking for a solution to store my current and finished projects for long term. Each project varies in size and I cannot foresee the amount of data I might end up with, so scalability is a huge priority. One main question is, is a DAS like the Lacie 6big or a NAS like the Synology Rackstation ideal for my situation? My current setup is I use an edit drive (Lacie D2) which holds all my current projects, then transferred to another external HDD for that particular year. That hard drive backs up to another hard drive and a DIY Unraid server I built (absolutely unreliable). I do not need to access the files that often, but need to store and may need to reuse some of the files in the future for another project. I would also like to archive my personal data along with them.
Is my current setup good as it is? Or is a RAID DAS or a NAS recommended? I currently have no employees and use two computers.
Please recommend an archival solution for me. Thankyou.
Hi there! For long-term storage of your current and finished film projects, it's important to have a reliable and scalable solution. While your current setup of using external hard drives for each project and then backing up to another hard drive and DIY Unraid server may work for now, it may not be the best long-term solution.

Both a DAS and a NAS can be viable options, depending on your specific needs. A DAS such as the Lacie 6big can offer fast, direct access to your data without the need for a network, but it's limited to being attached to a single computer at a time. On the other hand, a NAS such as the Synology Rackstation can offer shared access to your data for multiple users on a network, but may have slower transfer speeds depending on your network setup.

If you're looking for scalability and long-term reliability, a NAS would likely be the better option. With a NAS, you can easily add more storage capacity as needed and have a central location for all of your data that can be accessed by multiple computers. In addition, a NAS like the Synology Rackstation can offer features such as data backup and redundancy, which can help protect against data loss due to hardware failures.

I would recommend considering a NAS such as the Synology Rackstation or the QNAP TS-464 (with 10gbe card) or TVS-472xt as potential options. Both of these models offer scalable storage options, data backup and redundancy features, and can be accessed by multiple users on a network.