Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS first time buyer

Hi, I am looking to free up space on my MacBook Pro which has 128gb ssd drive always running out of memory. Would like to move everything to a NAS and want to be able to access files and photos quickly and easily when using the mac, I have two users setup on my MacBook and my iMac. Also would like to come away from iCloud and store everything on a NAS with easy access across the apple iOS platform, iPhones, iPad. The wife is not the best when it comes to tech but she needs to access loads of documents, folders that is currently on an EXD 1TB HD. Looking for everything to be in one place and easy to access home or remotely. Look forward to your assistance in this query.
Based on your requirements, I would recommend getting a NAS with at least 2 bays, such as the Synology DS220+ or the QNAP TS-251D. This will allow you to set up a RAID 1 array to protect your data and provide a backup solution.

Both the Synology and QNAP NAS options support easy access across Apple iOS platforms, iPhones, iPads, and macOS devices. You can use the Synology Drive or QNAP File Station app to access files remotely and sync files between devices.

In terms of storage capacity, you can start with 2 hard drives and expand as needed in the future. To move your data from your MacBook and iMac, you can simply drag and drop the files onto the NAS using Finder. For your wife's documents, you can also transfer them onto the NAS using an external drive or over the network.

Overall, a NAS will provide you with a central location for all your files and documents, and allow you to easily access and share them across multiple devices, both at home and remotely.