Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ds1522+ or ds1621xs+ ? to be or not to be

hello i hope all is well!
love your content, very useful for a power user like me!
looking to purchase a nas for my home for the following
1) backup about 4 PCs,
2) plex media server
3) general storage (files, possibly VMs)

was wondering what kind of speed i can get out of each of those units if they both had max GB for memory, SSDs for caching and using the 10gb NICs (i understand i need to purchase the nic for the 1522+)
would be looking to use seagate 7200rpm drives, whatever model is supported, probably the largest in size

thanks in advance!
nick

Hello! I'm glad to hear that you find my content useful. I'll do my best to help you with your NAS purchase decision.

Regarding your question about the Synology DS1522+ and DS1621xs+ NAS units, both of them should be capable of meeting your needs for backup, media server, and general storage. However, as you mentioned, the DS1522+ requires a separate 10GbE upgrade, which could be an additional cost. On the other hand, the DS1621xs+ already has a 10GbE port, but it does have limitations on the compatible HDDs.

In terms of performance, the two models have similar CPU specifications, but the DS1621xs+ has a slightly faster clock speed. However, the difference in clock speed might not be noticeable in real-world use cases.

With regards to speed, using SSDs for caching and a 10GbE connection, both NAS units should be capable of providing fast transfer speeds for your backup and general storage needs. However, the actual speed will also depend on factors such as the number of clients connected, the type of files being transferred, and the overall network environment.

As for using Seagate 7200rpm drives, Synology has a compatibility list for both models that you can check to ensure that the drives you plan to use are supported. I would recommend choosing the largest drive size that is supported, as it would give you more storage capacity for your needs.

Overall, both the DS1522+ and DS1621xs+ should be capable of meeting your needs for backup, media server, and general storage. However, you should consider the additional cost of the 10GbE upgrade for the DS1522+ and the limitations on compatible HDDs for the DS1621xs+ when making your decision.