Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Youtube Video Suggestion

Hey Robbie,
Saw your recent video on the Kickstarter NAS, and had an idea (I know, full of em Wink.

There are tons of second had ex enterprise rackmount 4/8/12 bay NAS systems on eBay, FB Marketplace, or local technology recyclers. They are slow, old, and frankly aren't selling well, so get thrown out, or hopefully recycled.

The idea was, what IF, you make a video on how to use a similar N5105 mobo from Ali Express, and replace the heart of one of these. This may inspire people to go out and try and save these old beasts.

I realise you're out here trying to make a living, but perhaps that maybe a service you can offer local to the UK. You still get paid for your time, but ultimately, saving the planet from more ewaste and making quite a few people quite happy.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Dmitry
Thank you for your suggestion! Repurposing older enterprise-grade NAS systems is certainly an interesting idea, and could be a good way to reduce e-waste while providing users with a capable and affordable storage solution.

As you mentioned, replacing the motherboard with a newer, more efficient model like the N5105 from AliExpress could help improve performance and energy efficiency. However, this kind of project would likely require a fair amount of technical expertise and may not be suitable for all users.

Making a video on this topic could be a helpful resource for those who are interested in undertaking this type of project, and it could also help raise awareness of the issue of e-waste. However, as you noted, it's important to balance the desire to provide free resources with the need to support oneself financially.

Overall, this is an interesting idea, and I think it could be a valuable service for users who are interested in repurposing older hardware. It's important to consider the level of technical expertise required for this type of project, as well as the cost-benefit analysis of investing in new hardware vs. upgrading older systems.