Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS mapping reconnect failure

Hello,

Following your videos I was able to successfully install and map a Synology DS220j to my Windows 10/Gigabyte motherboard computer. When I shut the computer down and restart the Synology drive no longer is mapped to the computer? I can reset this, but that's a bit of a pain!! Also, when I open the Plex app after remapping the drive, Plex no longer recognizes the NAS. This is perplexing since the Plex software is installed on the NAS? The only solution I've found is to uninstall and reinstall the Plex software. Another very painful process when it's done daily.

Any ideas on how I can correct the mapping recognition when I shutdown the computer?? Thank you for your help and videos.

Max
It sounds like the issue you're experiencing may be related to the way Windows handles network drive mappings. When you shut down your computer, it may be "forgetting" the mapped network drive, which is why you have to remap it each time you restart.

One way to resolve this is to set up a persistent network drive mapping in Windows. This means that the drive mapping will be automatically restored each time you restart your computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Open File Explorer and click on "This PC".
Click on the "Map network drive" button in the "Computer" tab.
In the "Map Network Drive" window, choose a drive letter for the mapping and enter the network path to your Synology NAS, e.g. "\NAS-Name\Shared Folder".
Check the "Reconnect at sign-in" box.
Optionally, check the "Connect using different credentials" box if you're using a different username or password than your Windows account.
Click "Finish" to create the mapping.
This should create a persistent network drive mapping that will be restored automatically each time you restart your computer.

Regarding the issue with Plex not recognizing the NAS, it's possible that this is related to the drive mapping issue. When the drive mapping is lost, Plex may not be able to find the media files on the NAS. To resolve this, you may need to update the file paths in the Plex library settings to reflect the new drive mapping.