Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS assistance

Good day
I came across your youtube chanel and thought to reach-out. I am working from home. I have a variety of external hard drives and usb devices as well as One Drive and Google Drive as well as iCloud Storage as well.
I am looking for a solution to put all my data in one place for personal (my wife and I) and also for my business.
I do have a Zapitti player and apple TV, but dont really do any videos on my nas. I also have a HP Proliant server that is in excess of 10years old and dont really use that that often.
I need something that is simple to use and that wont break the bank.
I also want to ensure that my data is safe.
I started exploring the raspberri pi with a hdd, but it started to get a bit complex to me...
Any advice?
Hello! I'm glad you came across our YouTube channel and reached out for advice on a solution to store all your data in one place for personal and business use. Based on your needs for a simple and cost-effective solution, I would recommend either the Synology DS118 or the DS220j.

The Synology DS118 is a single-bay NAS (network-attached storage) device that is compact and easy to set up. It is powered by a quad-core 64-bit processor and comes with 1GB of RAM. The DS118 is suitable for storing and sharing data, as well as streaming multimedia content to devices on your network. It also offers various backup and data protection features to help keep your data safe. 1GB of RAM or more is preferable.

The Synology DS220j, on the other hand, is a two-bay NAS device that is slightly more powerful than the DS118. It comes with a dual-core processor and 512MB of RAM. The DS220j is still a relatively affordable option, and the additional drive bay provides increased storage capacity, as well as RAID support for added data protection.

Both the DS118 and DS220j come with Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, which is user-friendly and offers a wide range of features and applications to help you manage your data. These devices are also compatible with a variety of external hard drives and USB devices, which should make it easy for you to transfer data from your existing external drives.

In terms of ensuring your data is safe, both devices come with various backup and data protection features, such as RAID support, backup to cloud services like OneDrive, Google Drive, and iCloud, and the ability to set up automated backups of your data.