Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home/office Has

Heya,
I am a big fan of the YT Channel! Thank you for all the informative work!!
I have been looking for a while for a storage solution, and i would really beneficiate for an expert POV.
I work in VFX for the movie industry, I deal with a lot of data, in the form of images sequences. So small file (20-100 MB) but a lot (A LOT) of them
I have a pc atm (with thunderbolt 4 ports)to which i attach raid SSDs to work directly from them (i cache the files on an internal m.2 ssd).

What (Ideally) i need is a solution with:
-redundant storage
-directly attached to my workstation (i live in a rent house in the UK, i can't set up a switch or a big infrastructure) in a very fast way (10gb or thunderbolt 4)
-the ability to access my data in a user-friendly way all around the world (i travel a lot and i don't really want to carry a backup every time with me)
-and have some side services (nice to have not foundamental) Plex, torrent downloader.
running out of char.
thank you!
best!

Both QNAP TVS-872XT Thunderbolt and Synology DS1621+ with 10Gbe LAN are high-performance storage solutions and can meet your requirements to some extent. Here's my expert POV on both options:

QNAP TVS-872XT Thunderbolt: This device is designed with Thunderbolt 3 ports, which can provide very high-speed data transfer rates of up to 40Gbps. The 8-bay configuration of this device can offer a lot of storage capacity for your data, and it also supports SSD caching for improved performance. With its redundant storage capability, your data will be safe in case of a drive failure.

Synology DS1621+ with 10Gbe LAN : This device is equipped with a 10Gbe LAN port, which can offer fast data transfer rates. It also features a 6-bay configuration, which can provide a good amount of storage capacity for your data. In addition to this, it has a redundant power supply and supports SSD caching for improved performance. It can also run a range of useful applications, including Plex and torrent downloader.

When it comes to choosing between these two options, you should consider the following factors:

Thunderbolt 3 vs. 10Gbe LAN: If you want the fastest possible data transfer rates, then Thunderbolt 3 will be the way to go. However, if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for a more versatile network connection, then 10Gbe LAN is a good option.

Capacity: The QNAP TVS-872XT Thunderbolt has more bays than the Synology DS1621+, which means it can offer more storage capacity. If you need a lot of storage, then the QNAP might be the better option.

Ease of use: Both devices have a user-friendly interface, but Synology has a slightly more intuitive interface, which can make it easier to manage your data.

Price: The QNAP TVS-872XT Thunderbolt is generally more expensive than the Synology DS1621+.

In conclusion, both options are good, and it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you prioritize speed and capacity, then the QNAP TVS-872XT Thunderbolt might be the better option. On the other hand, if you want a more versatile network connection and a slightly more user-friendly interface, then the Synology DS1621+ could be the way to go.