Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Find and Remove Duplicate Files on a NAS

Dear NASCompares team,

After viewing tons of your videos, I still have not come across a quite simple aspect anyone could expect from a decent NAS: what about finding and removing duplicated files on the NAS?

Does QNAP have a way to find (and remove) duplicate files?

I have been working for years with enterprise level NAS (NetApp) and TB of data across sites, but I have absolutely no clue about these general public brands.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers from Spain
Sly
es, QNAP does have a way to find and remove duplicate files on the NAS. QNAP's File Station app has a built-in feature that can find and remove duplicate files. Here are the steps to use this feature:

Open File Station on your QNAP NAS.
Navigate to the folder you want to search for duplicates in.
Right-click on the folder and select "Find Duplicates" from the context menu.
File Station will then scan the folder for duplicate files and display the results in a new window.
From there, you can select which files you want to delete and click the "Delete" button to remove them.
It's important to note that this feature may take some time to scan large folders with many files, and it's always a good idea to double-check the results before deleting any files to avoid accidentally removing important data.

Qfiling could be handy https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/software/qfiling
Photo 
(02-17-2023, 12:04 PM)ed Wrote: es, QNAP does have a way to find and remove duplicate files on the NAS. QNAP's File Station app has a built-in feature that can find and remove duplicate files. Here are the steps to use this feature:

Open File Station on your QNAP NAS.
Navigate to the folder you want to search for duplicates in.
Right-click on the folder and select "Find Duplicates" from the context menu.
File Station will then scan the folder for duplicate files and display the results in a new window.
From there, you can select which files you want to delete and click the "Delete" button to remove them.
It's important to note that this feature may take some time to scan large folders with many files, and it's always a good idea to double-check the results before deleting any files to avoid accidentally removing important data.

Qfiling could be handy https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/software/qfiling

Cant find this option. I am on latest QNAP 5.0.x and update file station. I also installed qfiling. Nothing there.

[Image: Screenshot-2023-07-07-214217.png]
Hi, Ed,

Does this only work on QNAP NASs with a certain file system, or a certain operating system?

My particular interest is as to a QNAP NAS using the ZFS file system and with the QuTS hero operating system.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Ed,

A follow-on to my original inquiry. When File Station is asked to identify sets of duplicate files, is this (a) solely based on files than have identical filename (but of necessity came from different folders in the source collection). or is it (b) based on other criteria (perhaps size, maybe even a calculated hash total).

If the latter, can the user control what criteria are used and how?

Oh, I see now that the "source" for this must seemingly be a single folder, thus there could not be in the scope multiple files with teh same filename. So the "survey" must be on the basis of other criteria. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug