Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connecting to 2 networks at the same time

Hi there,

I'm a home user that likes to do some gaming but also photography and videography. I've recently decided to pick up my first NAS (had previously used DAS), a QNAP TS-473A and QNAP QSW-2104-2T along with a QM2 combo 10Gbe card.

I have an existing network running on WiFi which works fine, but I want to connect the NAS and my main PC via 10Gbe ethernet so I can edit across network.

Can I setup my main PC to remain on the WiFi network, but also have it able to connect to the NAS via ethernet?
Yes, you can set up your main PC to remain on the WiFi network while also connecting to the NAS via Ethernet.

First, you'll need to connect the QNAP TS-473A to your WiFi network. This can usually be done through the QNAP administration interface, which you can access by typing the NAS IP address into your web browser.

Next, you'll need to connect your main PC to the QNAP NAS via the 10Gbe Ethernet port. You can do this by connecting an Ethernet cable from the 10Gbe port on the QM2 combo card to the Ethernet port on your PC.

Once you have connected your PC to the QNAP NAS via Ethernet, you will need to configure your PC's network settings to allow it to communicate with the NAS over Ethernet while still using the WiFi network for internet access.

To do this, you will need to manually configure your PC's network settings. Here's a general overview of the steps:

Open the Network and Sharing Center on your PC (in Windows) or System Preferences > Network (on a Mac).

Click on "Change adapter settings" or "Advanced" (depending on your version of Windows or macOS).

Locate the Ethernet connection (e.g., "Ethernet" or "Ethernet 2") and right-click to open the properties.

Under the "Networking" tab, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on the "Properties" button.

Select the "Use the following IP address" option, and manually assign an IP address to your PC's Ethernet adapter. This IP address should be on the same subnet as the QNAP NAS.

Enter the appropriate subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses for your network.

Click "OK" to save your changes and exit the network properties.

Once you've completed these steps, your PC should be able to connect to the QNAP NAS over Ethernet while still remaining on your WiFi network for internet access. You may need to adjust your firewall settings to allow your PC to communicate with the NAS over Ethernet, but this will depend on your specific setup.