Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WebDAV

(02-13-2023, 11:14 AM)ed Wrote: Synology is known to have good WebDAV implementation.
2a. Cyberduck is a file transfer client that can connect to WebDAV, and specifying a DNS server is necessary if you want to use a domain name to access your WebDAV server instead of an IP address.
2b. WebDAV can be accessed using an IP address and port number, but using a domain name is more convenient.
RAID 6 is a good option for a single user, as it provides good data redundancy with efficient use of storage space.
No, WebDAV can also be implemented on Linux servers and other non-Windows systems.
A VPN can provide an additional layer of security by encrypting the entire network traffic between the client and server, preventing any potential eavesdropping or interception of data.
Upgrading RAM or adding NVME cache would provide performance benefits, but may not be necessary for a single user or small number of users.
Yes, you can create multiple shares on a NAS, each with its own password or access control settings.

I would forget about webdav and simply go for TailScale - you will then see your NAS as a local disk. Way better and faster than webdav.

https://nascompares.com/guide/how-to-acc...tailscale/

Thank you for your reply Ed !
I have to touch on a few things and if you dont mind ask a few additional questions... just to get everything straight for me. All this is very new.

Regarding your answers for 2a and 2b:
- doesn't Synology provide users with multiple domain names to use (as it seems from the different youtube videos I have watched)? Users seem to have YOU.synology.com via forexample QuickConnect they have... why do users need another DNS server from lets say freedns.com as different write ups suggest? I really dont get this part.
- why is a file transfer client like Cyberduck needed when windows, DSM, mac, ios, android... all have their own file transfer clients ?

Regarding "A VPN can provide an additional layer of security by encrypting the entire network traffic between the client and server, preventing any potential eavesdropping or interception of data." :
- if the WebDAV is using HTTPS which already is 256 bit encryption via TLS, what does another layer of 256 bit encryption do? Would it make it 512 bit encryption together? If so it makes sense but then again I thought 256 bit encryption couldn't be cracked?
I really would like to understand this so I would appreciate it if you would explain... mainly from this part "between the client and server, preventing any potential eavesdropping or interception of data." is the NAS the server? Who is the client? Lets say I wanted to prevent eavesdropping from my ISP of ALL my activities on my NAS including the WebDAV folder, would they be able to eavesdrop on HTTPS connections to my NAS? Would I have to connect to a VPN first and THEN use HTTPS to connect to the NAS for maximum security? 
Am I understanding the steps correctly`, as in... first connect to the VPN and THEN connect to your https address of your NAS ? Is that the best practice for maximum security?

I have 2 small quick additional questions please:
1. In a lets say 5 bay NAS... is it possible to populate bay 1 3 and 5 to ensure maximum airflow between them inside the NAS? or does RAID make it required that they are in the "next slot available" ?
2. In the case of using 3 or 4 disks, wouldnt it decrease the probability of 2 disk simultaneous failures by using lets say 3 brands ? Or atleast 2 really good brands of enterprise disks ? Does RAID or Synology accept this if the disk are all lets say the same size, speed and SATA600 ?
IF you would recommend ALL disk be the same, I would make sure all are of different batches as Rob taught me.

PS: Im sure TailScale is better and frankly Im already pretty upset at this WebDAV thing considering the lack of in depth information regarding it BUT the programs Im going to use accept commercial solutions like icloud and dropbox/googledrive ect for backups and WebDAV is the ONLY solution they offer to store my files on my own disk via my own "cloud" so Im pretty stuck in having to set it up. I do appreciate you trying to save me of all the "pain" I guess.

Thank again Ed and say hello to Rob from me and read my shout outs in my first message to him. Hope it will cheer him up and forget about the seagulls even for just a minute  Heart

Messages In This Thread
WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-11-2023, 11:48 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-13-2023, 11:14 AM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-13-2023, 11:04 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-15-2023, 09:55 AM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-21-2023, 07:09 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-21-2023, 09:56 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-21-2023, 10:43 PM