Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AMD ain't gonna cut it, what should I do?

I was waiting for at least the last yr for the 720 upgrade to come out. I love Synology, want to stay... but need to upgrade my DS211.

I wanna stay 2 bay but have expansion, spec the thing up as high as I can for performance gear... NVMe, max RAM, etc.

I also have a couple of ip cams - but they are nice to have instead of need.

Should I wait hoping for 2023... or go another brand?

I even logged a Synology support ticket... they can't share any roadmap unfortunately ?
Synology DS720+ has been replaced by the Synology DS723+. The specs you provided are accurate.

The Synology DS723+ is equipped with an AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU with 2 cores and a clock speed of 2.6 GHz (base) / 3.1 GHz (turbo). It has 2GB of DDR4 ECC system memory and supports a maximum of 32GB of memory with 2 memory slots. It also has an AES-NI hardware encryption engine for improved security.

Overall, the Synology DS723+ is a high-performance 2-bay NAS with the ability to expand its memory and support for hardware encryption. It is a suitable choice if you're looking for a device to centralize your data storage, support your photography, video, and podcast editing work, and provide reliable and secure access to your files from anywhere.
Ok, thanks for quick answer! Maybe I misunderstood, but from the testing (admittedly Plex) the NAS side processing will unduly suck up all the resources when transcoding is needed. I tend to need this a fair bit with the sources of media files being very unique & varied. My current Psychology suffers and I have very little installed app wise.

If you had to go something other than Psychology what would you recommend for two bay & extensible? I did some quick searches but the posts seem older than 6 months. Happy to do lore research if you have any guidance?
If you can still get ds720+, this would be a good choice. Otherwise, anything with Celeron inside will ensure that GPU chip does all heavy load.