Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice for a backup system fitting my needs

First of all thanks a lot for this amazing and complete website ! I found so many valuable informations already, especially to help a canadian research station for their backup system ??

My needs are a bit more unique hence my enquiry. I'm a photographer, video and podcast editor and traveller. I have been working on 2.5" HD for the past decades with the constant fear of losing datas even though my work is at least backed up on 2 HD while traveling... I've got too many hard drives now and it's time to invest in another solution !
The dream would be to have a unit back home so I can backup everything I need on it, but also to have access from the other side of the world if I need a specific file.
I would love to be able to provide an access to customers but this is not my prime concern atm.
I think a NAS is the way to go but not sure if it will be what I need so don't want to invest too much on it (maybe a 2 bays NAS)

Can't wait (and thanks!) to have your inputs!

A Network Attached Storage (NAS) device can definitely meet your requirements as a photographer, video and podcast editor, and traveler. With a NAS, you can centralize your data storage and access your files from anywhere with an internet connection.

A 2-bay NAS would be a great starting point for your needs. This will allow you to set up a redundant storage solution with two hard drives, ensuring that your data is protected in the event of a single drive failure. You can choose to set up the drives in a RAID 1 configuration, which will mirror the data on one drive to the other, providing a backup of your data.

In addition to data storage, many NAS devices also include features such as media streaming, file sharing, and data backup options. This can be convenient for you as you can access your files from anywhere and also share files with your customers if needed.

When choosing a NAS, be sure to consider the brand, the operating system it runs on, the supported file formats, the number of bays it has, and the performance you need. Some popular brands for NAS devices include Synology, QNAP, and Asustor.

Overall, a NAS can provide a flexible and reliable solution for your needs as a photographer, video and podcast editor, and traveler.