Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backup

Hi,
Luv the videos on synology, please keep them coming.

Trying to set up back up rotation using hyper back up. I go to the section where I have to choose from earliest, smart recycle or customised. Files dont change that often so leaning to customised retention option.

Under settings, what do these do?
Duration Version Interval
From the earliest 1 week
1 month 1 day
1 day 1 hour
Also, what number should I set the kept versions?

I am getting confused, thinking of daily backups for the week then a weekly backup held for 30 days.
The Enable integrity check schedule, how often would you recommend this be run?

Any help or ideas welcome, looking for the best backup strategy to keep my data safe.
The "Duration" setting determines the amount of time that a version of the backup will be kept. The "Version Interval" determines how often a new version of the backup is created.

For example, if you set the "Duration" to 1 week and the "Version Interval" to 1 day, then every day a new version of the backup will be created, and each version will be kept for 1 week. This will result in 7 versions of the backup, each one a day apart.

The number of versions you should set to keep will depend on your specific needs. If you need to keep multiple versions of your backups to be able to recover from different points in time, you should set this number to a higher value. If you have limited storage space, you may want to keep a smaller number of versions.

The "Enable integrity check schedule" setting determines how often the backup system will check the backup data for consistency. I would recommend running the integrity check once a week or once a month, depending on the importance of your data and the frequency of changes.

Ultimately, the best backup strategy will depend on the specific needs of your environment and your comfort with the trade-offs between backup frequency, storage space, and recovery time.