Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Desktop publishing server

Hello,
I'm a little confused by all the actuals NAS models, although I have a preference for Synology (desktop models - matter of space).
We currently use two Synology DS413J, but it has become very slow to work directly with documents on these models.
I'm looking for advice on buying a NAS (file server) to act as a file server mainly for hosting desktop publishing documents (Mac OS X - Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) and related elements (illustrations, PDF, etc.).
Which model do you think is the "right one" for this purpose and what would be the options to consider if necessary (network card, ethernet switch, cache memory, RAM, etc.)
Thank you for your interest in my request.
Best for 2023 to all.
Patrick.
If you are looking for a Synology NAS to host desktop publishing files, you should consider a model with a fast processor, high memory capacity, and support for 10Gbe connectivity. A recommended model for your needs would be the Synology DS1821+ or maybe new ds923+ (if you need nvme storage pools).

This NAS model has an 8-core CPU, 4GB of RAM (expandable up to 32GB), and supports 10Gbe connectivity, making it well-suited for demanding workloads such as hosting large desktop publishing files. Additionally, it has 8 drive bays, allowing you to start with a smaller storage capacity and expand as your storage needs grow.

As for other options to consider, you may want to consider adding a network card to support 10Gbe connectivity and a switch if you plan to connect multiple devices to the NAS. You may also want to consider upgrading the memory to ensure optimal performance.

In conclusion, the Synology DS1821+ is a good choice for a NAS to host desktop publishing files, and its expandable design allows you to customize it to meet your specific needs.