Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Affordable NAS for Plex

Hi there. Been watching your YouTube videos but still feeling a little lost so thought I'd reach out.

Looking for a 2 bay NAS to use primarily as a Plex Media Server.

Want to go as cheap as I can without risking a huge sacrifiece on performance.

The majority of my video files are 1080p (H.264), with the odd 4K (H.265 10bit) file every now and then.

Everything is pretty much being done locally, and only very occasionally over the internet. And I don't believe I need/use transcoding as I don't have a Plex Pass.

The most expensive options I'm looking at are:

- Synology DS220+
- QNAP TS-253D-4G
- QNAP TS-231K

Other than that, my other options within budget are probably:

- Synology DS220j
- Synology DS218
- TerraMaster F2-210
- Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra
- TerraMaster F2-221
- TerraMaster F2-422

Appreciate any help you're able to provide.

Thanks in advance!
If you're looking for a budget-friendly 2-bay NAS that's well-suited for use as a Plex Media Server, I would recommend the Synology DS220+.

The DS220+ has a powerful processor and enough memory to handle your 1080p and 4K video files (Locally), even if you don't have a Plex Pass for transcoding. Additionally, it has a good balance of features and performance at an affordable price point.

The other options you listed are also good, but the DS220+ provides the best value for your money. The QNAP TS-253D-4G and TS-231K are more expensive, but they do offer more powerful hardware and more features, so it might be worth considering if you have a larger budget.

Overall, the Synology DS220+ is a great choice for a budget-friendly 2-bay NAS for use as a Plex Media Server.