Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

All rounder NAS

Hi,
I've been looking for a NAS for a while now but I can't decide on which one.
My requirements are:
Plex (internal and external use) 1080p mainly but I would like to have the option of 4K as I have a 4K tv but never used it as 4K
I have a proxmox server, I was thinking that I might be able to connect to the nas as an iSCSI or SAN for the OS of VM's so possibly be able to use m.2 or something quick for the OS. I know that some NAS' can have m.2 as a storage pool instead of caching. Really not a deal breaker as it was just an idea.
Low(ish) power. As i've already got a proxmox server I don't really need / want another server.
Some what quiet, I don't mind fan noise.
I need to host some docker containers and Home assistant on the NAS too so i can turn off my proxmox server at night for a bit.
I've been leaning towards the DS920+ and then just stick some SSD's in my server in raid 0 and back up the VM's to the NAS so if the proxmox vm drives fail then no big deal.
Thanks,
Will
The Synology DS920+ would definitely be a great option for you, as it can meet most of your requirements.

In terms of Plex, the DS920+ can definitely handle 1080p content, and it has the capability to support 4K playback, so you would have the option to utilize your 4K TV in the future.

In terms of using the NAS as an iSCSI or SAN for your Proxmox server, the DS920+ does support iSCSI connections and can be set up as a target for your Proxmox VMs. The DS920+ does not have an M.2 slot for a storage pool, but it does support the use of M.2 drives as cache drives to improve performance.

In terms of power consumption, the DS920+ is known for being energy efficient, so it should not consume too much power. And it's relatively quiet, so you shouldn't have to worry about excessive noise.

Finally, with regards to hosting Docker containers and Home Assistant, the DS920+ does support Docker, so you can easily run your containers on the NAS. And, as for Home Assistant, you can run it as a Docker container on the NAS as well.

All in all, the DS920+ should be a great fit for you, with the ability to meet most of your requirements. DS923+ is a newer version that supports nvme pools and 10gbe. Local 4k streaming is ok, but remotely it is limited to 1080p.