Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap TBS 464 - slow directory/file walking

Just a quick question. Have you guys every tried to list out the files/directories (I'm using Python os.walk) against the Qnap TBS464? It takes 13 sec to perform my walk/regex tasks on the roughly 5TB of data on the NAS (all nvme, 2.5+2.5 gbe) and <2 sec walking the 9 usb spinning drives I have on a single usb3 hub (accounting for about 21TB of data, not connected through the NAS).
Completed NAS analysis in 13.797977685928345
Completed USB analysis in 1.1907272338867188

I did run the test with just os.walk...looks like the first access is VERY slow, but it does speed up if the successive process is right after it.
Completed os.walk only analysis in 13.380335092544556
Completed NAS (full) analysis in 2.7360312938690186

Am I missing some key configuration on the QNAP? Maybe some indexing capabilities? Just can't seem plausible that the NVME drives underperform the USB hub. Running over NFS, mounted drives in Ubuntu Linux.

Thoughts? Appreciate any help!
It's possible that the slower performance when accessing the QNAP NAS over NFS is due to the network protocol itself, as NFS is known to have some performance limitations compared to other protocols like SMB/CIFS.

Another factor to consider is the way that the NAS is set up. For example, it's possible that the QNAP's indexing and caching features are not configured optimally, which could result in slower performance. Additionally, the NAS may be using a slower CPU or limited system resources, which could impact performance.