Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guidance for newbie

Your guidance please. Am 75 yrs new 2 NAS. Had two HDD's fail, 1 external drive, recently laptop. Thinking more secure with SSD, big cost difference, UTubevideos suggest shorter life. I like Synology package DS420+ with 2x4TB storage 1 mirrored, keep 2 bays for future expansion. Capacity & cost are steering me to HDD again but with backup. Thinking IronWolfPro, maybe WDRedPro & avoid shingle. Unsure if I need SSDCache, think I do. BroadbandBuyer quoted Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB M.2 2280 M-key PCle NVMe SSD single sided MZ-V7S1T0BW. Is this a good spec please. Recent video suggests failures & not good. What is good alternative. Am design engineer, max 2 users. Need to archive bulk of my technical & personal data, duplicate current work folders to my laptop, work on them remotely, Office& drawgs etc, automatic update weekly back to the server, mirror the data, sometimes access from abroad. Will switch off unit overnight/when not in use.
I would recommend the WD Red Plus drives as they are quieter compared to pro drives. Additionally, an NVMe cache is not typically useful for home use, it is more suited for offices with many users or for video editors. The Synology DS420+ is a good choice for those who need a multimedia-friendly NAS as it has no restrictions on the apps you can install on it.
When choosing NVMe for caching you need to look at reliability ratings such as DWPD/MTBF. Here are a few on the list
https://nascompares.com/answer/nvme-m-2-...dwpd-mtbf/
Caching means a lot of read and write operations, unlike regular storage situation.
You would need to look at models with 0.5DWPD and above

970 pro – 0.66DWPD

Synology SNV3400 – 0.68DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 510 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate Firecuda 530 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate PS5 Game drive – 0.7 DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 520 -0.9 DWPD
WD Red SN700 – 1.0DWPD

I hope this helps.
Hotels In Haridwar

Haridwar is the center of all spiritual places in India with its natural beauty and everyone wants to visit this place once in a lifetime. This place is always crowded with tourists for one reason or another. One of the main reasons, people visit this part of the country is because of its spiritual and religious appeal apart from its natural beauty.

Best hotel in haridwar

So while planning such an event, you should make sure to stay in the best hotel with maximum comfort so that your trip becomes easier and more peaceful. Lajja Palace hotelis the best place to stay as it is very near to Haridwar Railway Station so it is very easy for you to reach your hotel right after arriving at the station, we also have pick up and drop off service if you want to avail while reservation. Our hotel Lajjapalace is located right in the city center and is one of the best hotels in Haridwar.

[Image: Hotel-In-Haridwar.jpeg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)