Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video Editor

I'm a professional video editor as well as a videographer and photographer so I have a LOT of media. Currently editing a feature documentary of 4K to 6K footage, and even though I use a proxy workflow generally, drive speed is still very important. I use an external SSD for my cache and project files and footage is on external hard drives likes G-Drives or Lacie. I have probably 20+ external hard drives. I'd love to have the ability to switch between projects without having to swap out drives all the time, as well as have a better, organized system in place for backup and redundancies. At the moment I don't have the need to share footage with other editors.
Based on your needs and requirements, a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device could be a good solution for centralizing your media files and organizing your workflow. With a NAS, you can store all your footage on one device and access it from any computer connected to the network, without having to physically swap out hard drives.
The most popular models are Qnap 72XT and 88X series NAS. These can connect via Thunderbolt or 10GbE. Internal NVme can be used for active projects and HDDs for finished projects.

I hope this helps.