Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Small NAS comparsion

Hi, I'm new to Plex, Video formatting and NAS Servers. Your website is incredibly helpful, though much of the technical comparative data is beyond me right now.

I am trying to set up a NAS based Plex server to host my own 4k home videos. They will only be accessed by an AppleTV, and the whole system will be wired on a 1 gbe network (though I may upgrade the network to 2.5 gbe within the year). I'm comparing the QANP TS-253E vs the Synology DS220+ (I know the later does not have 2.5gbe, but the cost difference is decent).
For my singular needs do you have a recommendation? Relatedly, is there a video format/resolution you would recommend to allow one or both of these options to perform well?
Thank you in advance
For your specific needs, I would recommend the Synology DS220+. It is a more affordable option and has a user-friendly interface that makes it easier for you to manage your Plex media server and get up and running quickly. The Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) software provides a wealth of features and options to help you get the most out of your server, including support for a wide range of video formats.

As for video format and resolution, it is recommended to use H.264 or H.265 codecs with a maximum resolution of 4096x2160 (4K) and a bitrate of around 50 Mbps. This will allow for high-quality video playback on your AppleTV while still being compatible with the processing capabilities of the DS220+.

Please note that while the DS220+ does not have 2.5GbE network support, it still supports gigabit Ethernet, so you should still see a noticeable improvement in network performance compared to a 100Mbps network.