Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS

Following watching your videos I have purchased a Synology DS 923+ together with 2 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD. Currently I have 4.5 TB on the NAS. Again following your videos I am thinking of buying a second Synology NAS for a local backup. My question is , if I was to open the first NAS to access on the internet but not the second how vulnerable would the second NAS be to Malware/Ransomware.
Having a second Synology NAS for local backup is a good practice for data protection, but it's important to be aware of the security implications of opening the first NAS to the internet.

By opening your first NAS to the internet, you are increasing its exposure to potential security threats such as malware and ransomware. In order to minimize these risks, it's important to take proper security measures, such as:

Keeping the operating system and all installed packages up-to-date with the latest security patches.

Enabling two-factor authentication for the administrator account and all other accounts that have access to the NAS.

Configuring the firewall to restrict incoming and outgoing traffic to only the necessary ports and protocols.

Regularly backing up important data to an offsite location, such as a cloud service or a physical backup device.

As long as the second NAS is not exposed to the internet and is only used for local backups, its risk of being infected by malware or ransomware is much lower. However, it's still a good idea to regularly monitor the health and security of your NAS, and to keep its operating system and packages up-to-date with the latest security patches.