Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Volumes and Shared Folders

I used your first video to set up my DS720+ with 2 4T WD Red drives. I followed your super guidance and split the pool (RAD 1) into two volumes of 1.75T each. One for me and one for the wife. I then created the shared drive folder and finally figured out how to do the map thing to my windows PC file explorer. OK all fine, but I'm confused on the shared folder. Where does it reside? Volume 1 or volume 2? How do I see the mapping between volumes and shared folders? How do I ensure that my volume and shared folder isn't or doesn't become the same as my wife's shared folder and volume (not set up as yet.)? Which of your videos should I look at next to get a handle on this?
The shared folder in your Synology NAS setup can reside on either volume 1 or volume 2, depending on where you choose to create it. To see the mapping between volumes and shared folders, you can go to the "Control Panel" in the Synology DSM and navigate to the "Shared Folder" section. Here, you can see the list of all shared folders and the corresponding volumes where they reside.

To ensure that your shared folder and volume are distinct from your wife's, you can create separate shared folders for each user with unique names and assign different permissions to each. For example, you can create a shared folder named "Volume1_YourName" and another shared folder named "Volume2_WifeName". This way, you can easily differentiate between your and your wife's shared folders and volumes.

To learn more about shared folders and permissions, you can check out Synology's official documentation or tutorials on their website. Additionally, you can also check out their video tutorials on the Synology YouTube channel to gain a better understanding of the concept.