Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas migration 8-bay to 4 bay

Currently using Synology 1821+ with all bays filled with ironwolf pro 8TB drives. Was gifted an Synology 923+ for Christmas which I would like to use as main NAS and the 1821+ as backup NAS. I have purchased 12x 12TB irowoolf pro drives to updated both boxes. Can you assist me in the best way to get the current data located on my 1821+ to the new drives in the setup I am planning. Do I make a backup of all the data and just restore data onto the boxes after I have set them up? Is there a way to migrate my data in a easy way
There are a few options to move your data from the Synology 1821+ to the new Synology 923+ setup:

Backup and restore: You can create a backup of your data on the 1821+ using the built-in "Hyper Backup" or "Sync" feature, then restore it onto the 923+ after setting up the new drives.

Data migration: You can use the "Migration Assistant" in the Synology DSM to easily move your data and configurations from the 1821+ to the 923+. You can connect the two NAS devices via a network cable and follow the instructions in the Migration Assistant wizard.

Direct copy: You can also directly copy the data from the 1821+ to the 923+ using a file explorer, such as Windows File Explorer or Finder on a Mac. Connect the two NAS devices to the same network, then copy the data from the source folder to the destination folder.

If data stays on the ds1821+ you can simply replace one drive at the time and let the rebuild finish https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/help/D...?version=7

Regardless of the method you choose, make sure to properly format the new drives before using them in your Synology NAS setup.