Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS1522+

I am looking for a place to put digital photos I’ve collected since 2003. I have a lot! But I used to be a server hardware guy back in the day and know a thing or two about RAID configurations, etc.. I’m comfortable with this technology, but still a bit dated in my skills. I like the footprint of the 923 over the 1522, but for $100 on Amazon, the 1522 make way more sense. So here is my question: At a bare minimum, what do i need to setup the 1522 with two disks? Say two 4tb or two 8tb. What disks would you recommend? Can i buy the Ds1522+, two disks, power it on and set it up, or do I need a cache, or something more to complete the unit properly?
All you need to set this NAS up is hard drives (or SSD in very same bays). You can start with one or two disks and add more drives later. If you may miff different-size drives in the future, make sure you select SHR options (same as RAID5).
Caching is something you can add or remove at any point. Here is what SSD https://nascompares.com/answer/best-nvme...r-caching/
Synology supports all HDDs on their plus series models. They promised to be strict with drive locking only on XS series models.

I hope this helps.