Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing a NAS for video editing

Hi there,

Thanks so much for all your brilliant work.

I'm looking to buy a NAS for editing 4K footage, with lots of video and audio effects laid on.
I'm using a 2019 27" iMac, which was fully specced at the time and has Thunderbolt 3 but no 10gbe. That got me thinking about a QNAP Thunderbolt NAS like the TVS-872XT or the TVS-672XT But I just saw your videos talking about the updated versions, the TVS-h874 or TVS-h674. These are not Thunderbolt, but would you recommend using ethernet instead, with an adapter from my Thunderbolt port in my case?

I know that you've recommended an 8-bay NAS for video editing. Is that still the case, given the 22 TB drives and extension units available? And the new PCle V4 for speed? I'm not sure that my budget stretches to the 8-bay version. How much better would it be? Would you recommend the TVS-h674 (i3) in my case? Or the TVS-872XT when it goes on sale? Lastly, thoughts on the Terramaster T12-450 for 4K video editing?

Thanks heaps!
When choosing a NAS for video editing, it is important to consider factors such as storage capacity, processing power, and data transfer speeds.

The QNAP TVS-872XT or TVS-672XT would be a good choice for your needs, as they offer high storage capacity and powerful processing capabilities. The newer versions, TVS-h874 or TVS-h674 are also good options, but as you mentioned, they do not have Thunderbolt support. Ethernet is a reliable and fast connection, and you can use an adapter to connect it to your Thunderbolt port.

An 8-bay NAS would be ideal for video editing, as it provides ample storage capacity and faster data transfer speeds. However, if your budget does not stretch to an 8-bay version, a 4-bay NAS like the TVS-h674 (i3) could also work well for your needs, depending on the size of your project.

The Terramaster T12-450 is a good option for 4K video editing, as it offers high storage capacity and fast data transfer speeds. However, you may want to check the NAS's its storage expansion options, warranty and support before making your decision. This is not the most reliable NAS but good starting point.

In summary, the QNAP TVS-872XT or TVS-672XT would be good choices for your needs as they offer high storage capacity and powerful processing capabilities. If your budget does not stretch to an 8-bay version, a 4-bay NAS like the TVS-h674 (i3) could also work well for your needs. And the Terramaster T12-450 is a good option for 4K video editing but not my choice.