Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Raid 5 vs SHR

Hi, I currently have a DS220+ with 2x10tb in raid 0. I just bought a DS920+ to have the possibiliy to have data protection and have big storage as well.

I got a couple of questions, I asked online but I get different answers everytime so i'm asking you because I know youre a pro with NAS.

1. Can I transfer my drives from my ds220 to my ds920 while changing the raid?

2. What type of raid should I choose SHR or RAID5 for the new nas. I want to get the most speed while having the possibility of 1 drive failing.

3. Can I buy another 10tb drive (total drives 3) and install the new NAS with RAID5 and after a couple months upgrade with another 10tb (total drives 4) without having to reset the NAS?
Yes, you can transfer your drives from your DS220+ to your DS920+ while changing the RAID configuration from RAID1 to RAID5 (can not change from standard RAID1/5 to SHR, need to restet the NAS for this). You can use the "Migration" feature in the Synology DSM to move your data and RAID configuration from the DS220+ to the DS920+. Before proceeding with the migration, ensure that both NAS devices are running the same version of DSM, and that you have a backup of your data in case something goes wrong.

The type of RAID you choose will depend on your specific needs and priorities. SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) is a proprietary RAID solution developed by Synology that allows for flexibility in terms of drive capacity and RAID levels. It also allows for an easy expansion of storage capacity by adding new drives to the system. RAID 5 is another option that provides data protection by using parity data distributed across multiple drives, it can handle one drive failure without losing data. In this case, RAID5 is more suited for your needs as you want to get the most speed while having the possibility of 1 drive failing.

Yes, you can buy another 10 TB drive and install the new NAS with RAID5, and then later add another 10 TB drive (for a total of 4 drives) without having to reset the NAS. You can use the "Expansion" feature in the Synology DSM to add the new drive to the existing RAID configuration. However, keep in mind that during the expansion process, the RAID will be