Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Backups

Hi I have watched a number of your youtube videos which are great and very informative. I'd like to ask about backup functionality provided by the NAS software platform.

1. Is it possible to point the NAS at a particular folder on another pc/laptop on the same network and have it mirrored on the NAS. e.g. if I configure the NAS to mirror my music folder after I add music files then they appear automatically after the mirror process runs.

2. Could I set the NAS to take overnight backups as straight files and folders for larger amounts of data

3. Can the NAS do incremental/differentail type backups?

4. Is a particular manufacturer (e.g. Qnap/Synology) known for having a stronger platform for this kind of functionality?

much appreciate your help
thanks
Paul Schweiger
Yes, Synology NAS allows you to map the drive on your PC and use the folder as a desktop folder. You can also use the Drive app for PC to set automated backups for any folder. All files backed up will be stored as original files and you can set up incremental backups. Plus series models also have file versioning and snapshots available. I hope this helps.
(01-26-2023, 04:00 PM)ed Wrote: Yes, Synology NAS allows you to map the drive on your PC and use the folder as a desktop folder. You can also use the Drive app for PC to set automated backups for any folder. All files backed up will be stored as original files and you can set up incremental backups. Plus series models also have file versioning and snapshots available. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. Can I also ask does QNAP also support the same backup functionality described above?