Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

file server, docker, cloud backup

Mac & Linux user with a 2012 Mac mini as my file server. I looking to replace this 10 year old CPU due to only be able to run an old OS. Before I buy a new Mac mini I am looking at a NAS, What I would like in a NAS (if possible) is the ability to run a few docker apps, file server. Backup to Blackblaze. What I like about my Mac setup is that I do not have one point of failure. If the CPU fails I can hook up to another man. So the big feature I was in a NAS is to be able to pull a drive and put it in a Linux box to read the data. I do realize that I may have to use each drive as a volume. Thanks for you help and the great YouTube content
You have a number of options for a NAS that can meet your requirements.

Many modern NAS devices, such as those from QNAP and Synology, support the ability to run Docker applications. This will allow you to run a variety of different apps on your NAS, including file servers, backups, and more.

In terms of data protection, you can look for a NAS that supports RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) configurations. RAID allows you to mirror your data across multiple drives, so if one drive fails, your data is still protected. Some NAS devices also support hot-swappable drive bays, which will allow you to easily replace a failed drive without shutting down the system.

Another option is looking for a NAS that supports JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) which allows you to use each drive as a volume, so you can easily remove the drive and put it in a Linux box to read the data.

Finally, for backup, you can look for a NAS that supports cloud backup services like Blackblaze. This will allow you to easily backup your data to the cloud, providing an additional layer of data protection.

Please note that it is important to check the compatibility of your NAS with the specific version of Linux you're using.

In summary, your best option would be to look for a NAS that supports running Docker applications, RAID or JBOD, and cloud backup services like Blackblaze.
You may need something with similar performance to your MAC such as Qnap 874 series or SYnology Xeon based XS series NAS e.g. ds1621xs+.